|Our client, an International company in the financial sector, is looking for a Compliance Officer/MLRO
Reporting functionally to the Group Compliance Officer and administratively to the Chief Executive Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible to implement and administer Compliance Management for the Company.
Anti-Money Laundering (AML)/Counter Financing of Terrorism (CFT) duties as required by the Mauritius laws:
General Compliance duties:
- Acting as the contact point responsible and liable for all AML/CFT compliance duties as per below.
- Implement internal AML/CFT compliance programmes and procedures, including reporting and proper maintenance of records.
- Identify and report suspicious transactions to the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).
- Carry out ongoing monitoring of ML/TF within the entity including setting up of structures that will allow continuity of ML/TF monitoring in the compliance officers absence.
- Ensure that there is ongoing training of staff on AML/CFT and keeping records of the said training and attendees.
- Ensure that at all times you have full and timely access to customer identification data transaction records and other relevant information.
Risk Management Plans:
- Review all regulatory interaction received by the Regulator.
- Coordinate responses to all regulatory requests for information.
- Draft the necessary communication to Regulators.
Policies and Procedures:
- Compile and maintain a Register of Legislation which contains all such laws, regulations, rules and standards applicable to the entities.
- Compile and maintain a Register of Obligations listing all applicable regulatory obligations and associated key internal and external compliance risks.
- Implement routine and ad hoc compliance monitoring procedures in order to ensure the entity is compliant with relevant compliance policies, procedures and obligations.
- Together with the Group Compliance Officer, perform compliance planning, develop compliance policies and procedures and collaborate closely with the operations teams for each business silo as required.
- Review and monitor internal practices and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and Group requirements and current policies.
- Provide guidance and advice on compliance related issues to key stakeholders both within the compliance and the business silos, delivering timely, reliable and quality orientated service to stakeholders.
- Escalate key compliance breaches to senior management and be involved in the enforcement of any remedial action which shall include disciplinary action for internal staff breaches with regard to compliance breaches.
Fund accounting duties that may not conflict with the Compliance Officer role such as:
- Assist the Group Compliance Officer to identify any changes/enhancements required in terms of existing compliance related training or the need to develop new training programmes.
- Deliver training in accordance with the compliance training program (AML, Market Abuse, etc).
- Preparation of financials.
- Monthly audit schedules.
- Performance reporting.
- Client reporting
- A relevant undergraduate qualification (BA LLB, BA Economics/Risk Management or similar degree is preferable).
- A relevant Compliance Officer’s Examination will be advantageous.
- A Master’s qualification and/or an accounting (CPA/ACCA) qualification would be an added advantage.
- Candidates will have no less than three years relevant experience.
- Experience within the financial services industry is essential.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of the compliance and regulatory requirements of an investment bank or financial institution operating in Africa would be a strong preference.
- An excellent command of English, both written and verbal, is a requirement of the role.
- Self-assurance and a confident manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Established negotiation skills and sound judgement.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks within strict time frames within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A self-starter who shows initiative and assumes responsibility for projects.
- Ability to work independently.
- A ‘team player’ who interacts confidently with senior management, clients and professional advisors.
- A strong work ethic.